Version 3 is now the current version of MathJax. This document is for version 2.
Using MathJax in popular web platforms¶
MathJax plugins are available for a growing number of wikis, blogs, and other content-management systems.
- MathJax-LaTeX, Simple-MathJax plug-ins for WordPress.
- MathJax plugin for Drupal.
- Concrete5 MathJax plugin.
- MathJax plugins for Joomla.
- Sphinx extension: MathJax
- MathJax plugin for DokuWiki
- MediaWiki math extension used on Wikipedia, using MathJax since v1.20.
- Tiddlywiki plugin, PluginMathJax for TiddlyWiki.
- WikidPad, a plugin for the personal wiki platform.
- MathJax Extension for the webbased SVG editor SVG edit.
- Instantbird Extension adds MathJax to the Mozilla-based chat client.
- MathJax plugin for Trac
If the program you are using is not one of these, you might be able to use MathJax by modifying the theme or template for your wiki or blog, as explained below.
- One Mathematical Cat’s tutorial
- Using MathJax on almost all blogging platforms by Christian Perfect.
- Using Jekyll to generate fallback images in RSS and use MathJax in html.
- Using MathJax on Posterous.
- Using MathJax in Blogger
- Using MathJax with Google Web Toolkit widgets
- Using MathJax with Markdown. See also notepag.es for writing Markdown+MathJax.
- Posting to WordPress from LaTeX, using MathJax
- Converting Javadocs from LaTeXlet to MathJax
- Using iPython Notebooks with Mathjax+Markdown
- deck.js with MathJax (slide show / presentation software)
- Example of MathJax in Google’s html5slides, source on github
Using MathJax in a Theme File¶
Most web-based content-management systems include a theme or template layer that determines how the pages look, and that loads information common to all pages. Such theme files provide a way to include MathJax in your web templates in the absence of MathJax-specific plugins for the system you are using. To take advantage of this approach, you will need access to your theme files, which probably means you need to be an administrator for the site; if you are not, you may need to have an administrator do these steps for you. You will also have to identify the right file if the theme consists of multiple files.
To enable MathJax in your web platform using cdnjs, add the line:
either just before the
</head> tag in your theme file, or at the end of
the file if it contains no
Alternatively, you can use
to get the latest release of MathJax (regardless of the version you have indicated in the URL).
Keep in mind that this will enable MathJax for your current theme/template only. If you change themes or update your theme, you will have to repeat these steps. We strongly suggest tat you use a plugin or help the community of your favorite software by writing a plugin yourself.